Sunday, September 11, 2016

Noah's Ark Medallion - finished!


A quilt of my own design - finished for a very special baby boy!


I've had this fabric for 16 years, ever since our only craft store closed. It is a line by Debbie Mumm, called "All Aboard the Ark". I never found a pattern I liked to use the fabric. Finally, two years ago, when my niece first announced she was pregnant after several years of trying, I pulled out the fabric and got started.

It got put aside when the baby was born, and it was a little girl, Eloise. I made this instead, from scraps of fabric and lace used to make her mother clothes by my mother.



Then, surprise!  Just 9 months later, my niece was pregnant again (that seems to happen often).  Lachlin was born just 16 months after his sister.


I made the backing using scraps, with a label bordered by tiny "waves"! (sorry it's sideways, but my photoediting software is kaput)


I quilted with wavy lines, and a scallop stitch on my machine (again, to replicate waves). I just love the texture!


I got stumped on how to fill the corners, but when this design was issued as part of "The Splendid Sampler" series, it didn't take me long to finish it.


I finished it off with a flanged binding, my favourite way to finish a baby quilt!

Welcome to the world, Lachlin - you are very much loved and wanted!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!