Friday, December 26, 2014

My Christmas Presents

 
A Christmas spent with my babies, and canvas-wrap photos for my wall was the best present of all.
 
 


But a very close second was this pretty girl!
 
 
It's a Singer 201K3.  Unlike American-made 201-2s, this Scottish/Canadian girl has a belt and the light is on the back of the machine. 
 
 
Her serial number EH866646 dates her to numbers issued February 9, 1953 at the factory Kilbowie factory in Clydesdale, Scotland. The motor was made in Canada, which means the body of the machine was shipped to one of the assembly plants in Canada before distribution. 
 
She's pretty dirty, and has a ding near the bobbin spool pin, and needs a new power/foot pedal cord.  I'm confident I can get her cleaned up and running myself!
 
 
 
This machine is often referred to as the Cadillac of Singers, and was the top-of-the-range model of its time.  When they were first introduced, they could easily cost the average labourer 6 months in wages.  Singer was instrumental in introducing the concept of paying on time, so many people would make weekly payments over a number of months or even years to own one of these hard-working machines.
 
She came in a case that looks like it a 301 case, so I'm not sure if it is original to the machine, so I have to do some more research on it.  I can't wait to start the cleaning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!