Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Stash Report, Week 34

 
I managed to go three weeks without adding fabric, but then a parcel arrived!
 

And then I introduced my 2-year-old granddaughter to my favourite local fabric store, Hamels!
 
She made a beeline to the baskets of fat 1/8's, dug around and came up with the two blues on the bottom.  She wouldn't give them up and almost walked out the door before I even had a chance to pay!
 
 
 
Added this week: 19 metres
Added Year-to-Date: 172 metres
 
Used since last report: 0 metres
 
Used Year-to-Date: 29.5 metres
 
Net used/Added for 2013: 142.5 metres

No finishes in the last three weeks, but I have to try and knock out two more I-spy quilts by Saturday so that should help!  But I have to go through this first:

 
Hopefully, this pile represents the end of the stress at work and September will be a fresh start.  I'll tackle it this afternoon and then I'll be cutting into this for the I-spy quilts:
 
 
I can't say enough about Tonya's Hillbilly Fabrics shop and Facebook group!  These are all quilt-shop quality, usually close-out sales but recently she has started pre-buys of new fabric lines as well.  When I first started shopping, I could only get 1 yard pieces, but sometimes she offers fat quarters on sale.  I have paid as low as 45c for some of these pieces! 
 
I tend to buy blenders or I-spy fabrics, but I did buy a nice piece to recover my ironing board.  The original cover is starch-stained, the pressing cloth that ends up in my photos is butt-ugly 80's calico, so I'm looking forward to sprucing it up!
 
The pile I received this week represents 6 months of buying, a little at a time.  The beauty of ordering from her shop is that she holds your box until it is full, then ships it.  She will also put my purchases from her online store in the same box, so I don't have to worry about additional shipping costs.  For me, this is so much more cost effective because I have it shipped to a US parcel drop service, then have to cross the border to pick it up. It would not be worth having it shipped a little at a time, and if I had the box sent to Canada it would cost over $40US.  All of these fabrics fit in a medium flat-rate box, and cost $12.95US to ship to Sumas, WA and $3 to pick up at the parcel service, saving me $25.
 
Funny thing happened at the parcel service!  The guy looked at the return address:
 
 
And said " Hillbilly Handiworks - I don't even want to know!"
 


1 comment:

  1. Lovely fabrics. I'll check out that store because I like the idea of getting the fabric when it's full - kind of like a surprise! :) Happy Quilting! Melanie @ 1000needles.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!