Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Stash Report, Week 25

Nothing in this week, and no finishes to report, although I have been plugging away at several projects.

Added this week: 0 metres

Added Year-to-Date: 66.75 metres
 
Used since last report: 0 metres
 
Used Year-to-Date: 21.5 metres
 
Net used/Added for 2013: 45.25 metres
 
Today my thoughts and prayers go to all those affected by the severe flooding in South-West Alberta.  The fourth largest city in Canada, Calgary has had its main core inundated with water and power has been shut off. and numerous towns have had unbelievable damage.  The town of High River has been almost completely destroyed.  My brother lives in Calgary and took these photos of Fish Creek near his home.  Luckily, he lives on a bluff 100 feet above the creek and is unaffected, other than by road closures.
 




 
These pictures are of Fish Creek and MacKenzie Meadows Golf Course.
 
 
Ghost Lake Dam - my brother has gone there today to rescue his sailboat.  Apparently, there are log jams starting to build up in Ghost Creek and as my brother says, when the old-timers are starting to pull their boats out of the water, you know it's time to get yours out too.
 
These pictures from various websites:
 
 
Inside the Saddledome, home of the Calgary Flames hockey team (photo courtesy of the team's website http://cflam.es/12VsG0C).
 
Here's a visual of how high the water is:
 
 
(courtesy of Virgin Radio Canada)
 
 
This is the Calgary Zoo.  The animals have been evacuated and there are rumours that the big cats are being held at the local jail!
 
The worst hit community is High River.
 
 
(photo courtesy of http://www.highrivertimes.com/)
 
The entire town is underwater and homes have been wiped off their foundations. My boss has family living there and they were evacuated with no warning, and only have the clothes on their back.  For awhile, they had even lost their mother!  She was in the local hospital and was evacuated to a safer place, but because it had to be done so fast, the lists of patients wasn't updated right away.
 
Unlike a hurricane or a flood by a large river like the Mississippi, this was flash flooding caused by heavy rains over the Rocky Mountains, melting the winter snowpack.
 
The military has been called out.  This amazing shot came from Virgin Radio Calgary:
 
 
Go, Army!
 
Because of the inundation of water creating problems for storing and distributing goods, I am donating my goods to the local Salvation Army, where they are assembling trucks to send to Calgary and area.  I am also donating cash to the Canadian Red Cross, specifically for the Alberta floods.
 
If you can spare a little, I'm sure it will be appreciated.  100% of all designated donations are going to the flood relief.  You can donate here http://www.redcross.ca/donate/donate-online/donate-to-the-alberta-floods.
 
The Red Cross (and Red Crescent) is my preferred charity of choice.  They saved my daughters' lives through their blood donor program (both of my daughters required several blood transfusions at birth due to Rh incompatibility) and are generally the first organization to respond to disasters around the world.  I always donate through them when they ask for funds for specific disasters. 
 
And one last thing for a little humour relief - Calgary has got an awesome mayor!  Check out his latest comments:
 
 
(courtesy of Virgin Radio Calgary)
 
Stay safe, everyone!
 
Terri in BC
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Terri, I saw the photos of the flooding earlier today, and wondered if had affected you, went as far as seeing where in Canada you are, just in case... not that i could do anything but send good thoughts. My sister is in Brisbane and although not actually flooded they once had to fetch sand-bags in preparation. karen in Cape Town (with google playing up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri, I saw the photos of the flooding earlier today, and wondered if had affected you, went as far as seeing where in Canada you are, just in case... not that i could do anything but send good thoughts. My sister is in Brisbane and although not actually flooded they once had to fetch sand-bags in preparation. karen in Cape Town (with google playing up)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts, Karen! I'm about 1000 km (800 miles as the crow flies) from Calgary on the opposite side of the Rockies. My home is in the Fraser River watershed, which may feel the effects of the rain but it will be a few weeks before the water comes this way, but I am far enough away from the river that I should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several sites accepting quilts for the people of Calgary and area, if you feel inclined to donate something there also. I saw this somewhere and ended up liking 'Quilting for Calgary' on facebook. But if you don't have facebook here's an address if you need it.
    Qulting for Calgary
    38 Rockbluff Close NW
    Calgary AB T3G 5B1
    I'm going to go through my stash of quilts and see if there are some that I can finish up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd hadn't seen the photos, but I had heard it was really bad there. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of these photos are new to me I had seen some coverage on the news - I hope it is getting better as it is now about 4 days since you posted this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!