Monday, February 6, 2012

Orca Bay Wrap-up!

Bonnie Hunter is doing a final linkup on her blog, http://www.quiltville.blogspot.com/, so we can all share our Mystery Quilts.  This has been a good incentive for me to actually finish a quilt on a timely basis.  I started on November 18th and finished the top January 19th, pretty amazing for a quilt with over 4500 individual pieces!


I love the secondary directional lines created by the "birds" - half-square triangles with wings!  The black/blue lines create a unique sashing effect around the red squares.



This block wasn't planned, but I love it and it shows up in the top corner, so it catches my eye everytime I look at my quilt top.

But this little Heather Ross fishee is my favourite (my mom used to use a fish to mark her ceramics, and I hunted this Heather Ross fabric down to make labels for my quilts) - I just had to add him to the top as well!



I learned so much doing this quilt.  The best thing I learned was webbing the top.  I'm not sure if I got it exactly right as per Bonnie's instructions, but I worked out steps that worked for me.  I'm working out a tutorial on how I did it. 

I used tools I've owned and never used before.


When I was webbing my top, I used my Fons & Porter pins to label which way the blocks should be directed - these ones are marked on the "Up" side.  I put a pin on the top of each column and used a sharpie to put the column number on the back.


Then I labelled the first block in each row. In this case, "R" stood for Row, not right. Again, I numbered the back of the pins.



 I learned how to use my companion angle ruler that I have owned for about 7 years, and never used.  I used it for both quarter-square triangles and to trim down my red string blocks.  I also learned how to make string blocks! I perfected my chain piecing technique, learned that ironing those pieces were a lot easier if you did it before cutting them apart. I learned that anything can be accomplished if you break it down into smaller pieces - now I'm viewing all my UFOs with a different eye! 

Thank you, Bonnie, for a great mystery! I will be joining you for your next adventure!


5 comments:

  1. So Beautiful! And I didn't realize there were so many pieces, wow. Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Orca Bay is beautiful and I'm very impressed with the things you learned. I haven't webbed a quilt, but may try it one day, you have almost convinced me to make things easier for myself by trying the webbing and leaving the chains uncut. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I am so slow to make the rounds on Bonnie's links. For someone who claims to have a hard time finishing things, I'd say you did a great job here! It looks wonderful--you should be very proud. I love the little "I Spy"-type pieces. They make a quilt extra fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!