Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Stash Report - Week Four

I am finally finished "Orca Bay"!  What an amazing journey this mystery quilt has been, but that's a topic for another post. The best part has been the amount of fabric moved out of my scrap bins - I only spent about $10 on 10 fat-eighths to expand my selection of black. (but that was before I was counting stash)


Please excuse the lighting - it is almost evening and raining, so I had to turn on all the lights to get this shot.  I'm going to have it quilted by a long-armer, there are way too many seams for me to try and tackle it. I'll count the backing and binding separately for the Stash Report.

Bonnie estimated about 9.5 yards, her EQ plan estimated 17 yards, I think it was closer to about 13 yards or 12 metres. So that is what I'm busting out of here!

Used this Week: 12 metres
Used year to Date: 27 metres
Added this Week: 0
Added Year to Date: 7.6 metres
Net Used for 2012: -19.4 metres
 
I am so glad I discovered Bonnie Hunter and her method of managing scraps and her beautiful way of designing quilts from scraps.  I would never have expected a quilt made entirely of scraps spanning 30 years would be so beautiful! 

I've almost finished another quilt top this week, but it's not ready for counting yet.  Being snowed in has been great for sewing time, but not so great for work - I haven't been able to go for the whole week because there is a stretch of highway between where I live and where I work that has been treacherous with whiteout conditions or freezing rain most of the week.

But after a week of snow and wind, it started raining on Friday.  First we had freezing rain, and my car looked like this yesterday morning:



That ice is about 1/2" thick!

And rumour is our town has one snow plow.  I wouldn't know because it never did come down my street.  Here is what it looked like yesterday morning:



That is snow, ice and freezing rain coating the road.  But 24 hours can bring a huge change.  This is what I woke up to this morning, a bare driveway, a windshield that is clear, and I can see grass again!



By tomorrow, this week of storms will just be a memory.






3 comments:

  1. Your Orca Bay quilt is gorgeous. Bonnie Hunter is coming to our guild as a guest speaker in November 2012....I don't want to fast forward and miss a year at my age but I can't wait for that meeting. She is having 2 workshops and I'll be signing up for both of them.....Edyta Sitar will be coming to the guild in July and again there will be two workshops. Luv her work too....I'm just giddy with excitement. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY!!! I am new to the Bonnie Hunter method and just got a start on stripping my stash. I hope to do one of her patterns later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is fabulous! Love the border as well. Must feel great to have this project completed. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!