Wednesday, December 14, 2011

And then there were four (steps, that is!)

As Christmas is getting closer, it's tougher to get to the sewing room, but I've managed to get a few red string blocks done.  I am really loving these blocks - I also tried a couple of new things this week that I'll keep doing in the future.

First, I sewed the strings together to the full length of the first strip, except for the very last ones.




Then, I followed Bonnie's revised cutting instructions to cut the blocks in half first, then use the companion angle template to trim the triangles to size.



This one got sewn a little crooked, but I was able to fix it by trimming it after cutting it in half.



I also like this method because the paper blocks are a little larger then we needed, so I could adjust the trimming so the seams fell further away from the corners (this is one of the blocks I cut to size first before cutting in half).


It makes for 2 different looking triangles!



Don't they look pretty all lined up!


Making a crumb block was a lot easier with these trimmings - but I don't think they have as much character.  Check out everyone else's progess at Bonnie's Linky-thing at http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/12/mystery-monday-link-up.html

Other things of note:


This was my view driving home from work the other day - the full moon rising over the local mountains.  The pointy one in the centre is Mt. Cheam, and it is only about 15 km from my home.



I have a collection of nativities, but last year I had to buy the Fisher-Price one for my grandson, Alex, to play with (and learn the Christmas story).  I have to set it up on his little table, because my dog likes to try to steal the little people (jealous, a little?)



And Zoey was mesmerized by the feel of the branches of the Christmas tree.  She didn't bother with the lights or the decorations, but kept reaching for the prickly branches.


Ouch, Gramma!

2 comments:

  1. that baby Zoey is adorable. I wouldn't get any work done at all if she was around to play with. And I love those red strip block/triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the string triangles. I'm hoping to make a start on clue 5 tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!