Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Laid low...:o(

My little sweetie left me a little present after his visit Friday night - his stomach bug.  I haven't been that sick in a while and I'm still feeling punky.  The only thing I've done is work on a few hexies for a future project I'm calling Hexie Madness. 


I started this project on December 22nd, with the goal of completing one flower a day.  So far I have kept up and I'm even a few ahead.  They are 3/4" hexagons made from 30s reproduction prints from different lines like Washtub Club, Storybook collection and the like.

I learned how to make the hexagons from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville blog (link to her tutorial here) and since I already had the hexagon punch and the prints, I decided to start yet another project!  I love her technique because you don't just end up with a pile of hexagons, you actually start sewing them together right away as part of your sewing. 

I don't have any idea what it will be in the end, but I'm leaning towards a summer coverlet. I've started grouping the flowers together in groups of nine, each flower represents each colour group that I have.  So far, no 2 flowers are exactly the same (out of 40) and I'm going to try to keep that up!  To make a twin-size coverlet, I need approximately 30 groups of 9 flowers or 270 flowers so it should take me about 9 months to make them at a flower a day.  It sounds way better counting that way than saying I need to sew 1890 hexies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!